Insight NUI Galway
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full-time fixed term position as a Research Fellow in Large Scale Linked Data Infrastructure with Insight at the National University of Ireland, Galway. This position is funded by the Insight Centre SFI Grant and is available from as soon as possible to contract end date of 30th June 2019. (See the Insight Centre for Data Analytics website: http://www.insight-centre.org/)
The successful candidate will be expected to perform a leading role research and management of a large scale research infrastructure in Insight Centre for Data Analytics Galway and will lead a team focusing on providing the Linked Data Infrastructure for research projects and commercialization projects. The candidate will contribute to ongoing research on a collaborative basis with other research units on own discretions.
The successful candidate will lead the research and development of Insight’s Linked Data Distributed Computing Platform, responsibilities will including but not limited to: Initiate and pursue own research in Linked Data infrastructures, development, and operations of platform research. liaison with other research teams to help them solve distributed computing problems. Ensure the needs of researchers are met by the platform. Drive adoption of platform within the group.
The candidate will also be responsible for project management & technical leadership of targeted research and commercialisation projects related to distribute processing or “big data”.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Collaborate extensively with all units and projects that pursue Linked Data- and Semantic Web-related research and provide an infrastructure that supports that research
- Collaborate with industry and provide an infrastructure than enables collaboration
- Provide support for the acquisition of additional funding for the group and the institute
- Contribute actively to the on-going initiatives within the College of Engineering and Informatics
- Participate as a member of the Insight Centre for Data Analytics Galway team in a collegial way, assisting in the definition and realisation of the scientific goals and vision of the institute.
- Contribute to standardisation and dissemination activities around Linked Data and Semantic Web technologies
- Support technology transfer into the community and businesses through demonstrators, international co-operations, and on-site education programmes (for companies)
- Support the institute directorship with administrative and institute development tasks.
- A clear vision for the needs of world-class research in large scale distributed infrastructure with linked data (LD) and be able to demonstrate that they can execute on this vision, including initiation of and contribution to international scientific events in the LD area such as workshops, tutorials
- Definition of national and international research and scientific strategy in LD, supervision of PhD students and generation of scientific outputs such as scientific publications.
- The candidate must have demonstrable deep knowledge of state of the art in distributed computing platforms.
- Must have a track record of leading teams in either research or industry. They must be comfortable undertaking: project management; asset management, human resources and administrative functions of the role.
- Evidence that they can understand and facilitate the needs of both academic researchers and industrial practitioners. Show they can act as liaison between industry partners and researchers.
- Minimum two years of experience programming with distributed platforms (e.g., Hadoop), and can demonstrate a breadth of knowledge with the wider ecosystem. Strong background in distributed programming generally (such as Scala, Java & C++ languages), with at least ten years experience in one.
- Can demonstrate expertise in the areas of distributed graph processing and linked data.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, presentation and scientific writing skills, and a sense of passion and ambition in addressing research challenges.
Salary: €54,820 per annum — Start date: Position is available from as soon as possible
Applications to include a covering letter, CV, and the contact details of three referees should be sent, via e-mail (in word or PDF only) to email@example.com
Please put reference number NUIG 044-16 in subject line of e-mail application.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5.00pm on Thursday 28th April 2016.
Further information on research and working at NUI Galway is available on Research at NUI Galway. For information on moving to Ireland please see www.euraxess.ie. Further information about Insight Centre for Data Analytics is available athttp://www.insight-centre.org/
Informal enquiries concerning the post may be made to Professor Dietrich Rebholz-Schuhmann at firstname.lastname@example.org